Common Uses for a Handyman
If you are a home owner, you already know that unless your house is brand new, there are most likely some areas that need work. Whether it’s repair work, or updating, or improving, there is always something that needs to be done to improve your living space and maintain or increase the value of your home.
Bigger projects that require more than one person to complete are best left to a contracting company, but there are many smaller projects that can be performed by one person – your local handyman!
There are so many different things a handyman can help with – the list is long, but here are some of the most common types of work a handyman can do for you:
- Painting and molding
- Furniture assembly (think Ikea and a thousand tiny pieces to try to figure out with scant instructions!)
- Drywall repair and installation
- Electrical work including repair, rewire or installation
- Plumbing and septic system repair
- Installing doors, countertops, cupboards, ceiling fans
- Installing hot tubs
- Cleaning/repairing/resealing wood decks
- Installing crown molding
- Stonework (patio, walkway etc.)
- Installing shelving
- Drain and gutter cleaning
- Fixing problems with washer/dryer/dishwasher
- Repairing ceilings and walls
- Cleaning, repair and installation of air conditioning systems
- Pest control (traps, extermination etc.)
- Window installation
- Installing water purification systems
- Pool cleaning and maintenance
- Removing waste and junk
- Building or repairing fences
As you can see there are many tasks a handyman can take on. The best thing about hiring a Vancouver handyman is that you are only dealing with one person, which makes communication much simpler. If you are unsure of a particular project, it’s as simple as asking the handyman if he has experience in that area, and whether or not he can do the project for you.
It goes without saying that you should do your homework before deciding on which handyman you will use. Check with family and friends for referrals. Also check online sources for reviews and pictures of previous work. After all, this person will be in your home around your family and pets, so safety and security are of the utmost importance.
Another important consideration when planning work on your home, is to check your local bylaws to ensure that the work you’d like done is within the acceptable limits, and can legally be performed by a handyman.
A final consideration when hiring a handyman is to ensure you are both on the same page in terms of what materials will be used, how long the job will take, and what the price will be to have the work done. The best way to cover this is to have the handyman provide you with a free written estimate before you begin. If the estimate is satisfactory, you can sign a contract with the handyman, and work can begin.
A handyman is a man of all trades as you can see. Finding a good one can save you and endless amount of worry about the upkeep and maintenance of your home, and will put you at ease that if any problems arise in the future, you know who to call!